You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Javascript is disabled in your web browser. For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript.
This website is using cookies.
We use them to give you the best experience. If you continue using our website, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website.
CPOTE2020 logo
6th International Conference on
Contemporary Problems of Thermal Engineering
Online | 21-24 September 2020

Abstract CPOTE2020-1059-A

Book of abstracts draft
slider slider slider slider slider slider

Challenges of the energy job market: intercultural competencies as main requirement for the future experts

Sara AL AHMAD, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany
Tatiana MOROSUK, Technische Universität Berlin, Germany

The job market for renewable energy is suffering from a shortage of skilled workers. This shortage indicates that study programs didn’t supply the graduates with the needed competencies which are vital to the job market. An individual interested in working in the energy sector needs to demonstrate, in addition to the technical and scientific understanding of the field, competency in communication, problem-solving and good analytical skills. Technische Universität Berlin Campus El Gouna was established in 2012 to tackle the problem by designing its master programs in a way that can fill the gap between supply and demand of working forces. The constant mobility of the students between Europe and the MENA region allows them to develop their intercultural and transferable skills. This research focuses on how the graduates of the TU Berlin Campus El Gouna develop their knowledge of the language, society, politics, and culture in both the Arab world and Germany. Some of the key findings of this research are that more than 90% of the TU Berlin Campus El Gouna graduates have jobs that are closely related to their field of study. Around 60% of them are working for the industry while the other 40% are working in academia and applied research in the field of the study. It is worth mentioning that around 60% of the TU Berlin Campus El Gouna graduates managed to secure jobs in Germany, Europe, and their home countries within 6 months after graduation. This research proves the success of the TU Berlin Campus El Gouna graduate in the job market of energy is closely related to their ability to adapt to different cultures and the high level of their intercultural and transferable skills. This also proves that intercultural competencies and transferable skills cannot be only developed in the classroom. The internationalization of the study processes is the main player in advancing and promoting these skills and at the same time prepare future experts to be ready for the challenges ahead.

Keywords: Energy job market, Intercultural competencies, Mobility, Transferable skills, Internationalization